Disability Support Pension and Carer Payments

Special Voices can assist families of people with intellectual disability with their Disability Support Pension (DSP) or Carer Payments issues.

What is a Disability Support Pension (DSP)?

The Disability Support Pension (DSP) is a fortnightly Centrelink payment for people who – due to a permanent physical, intellectual or psychiatric disability – are unable to work.

The eligibility rules for the DSP are complex. That is, to be eligible for the DSP, you must meet a range of medical (evidence of disability) and non-medical (age, residency, income and assets) criteria.

The DSP is a form of income support for people with permanent disability.

Persons in receipt of the DSP, may also be eligible for other types of Centrelink payments, such as the Mobility Allowance and Rent Assistance, to help them meet the expenses of everyday living.

Dealing with Centrelink can be a nightmare. I can help you get the income support that your family is legally entitled to.

Angela Cox

Principal Lawyer

Types of Carer Payments made by Centrelink

Carer Payment is a regular payment to a person who gives constant care to a child or adult with a disability or a medical condition, or to an adult who is frail aged.

Carer Allowance is a regular payment to a person who gives additional daily care to a child or adult with a disability or a medical condition, or to an adult is frail aged.

Carer Supplementis an automatic yearly payment to a person who gets the Carer Payment or the Carer Allowance.

Child Disability Assistance Payment is an automatic yearly payment to a person who gets the Carer Allowance for looking after a child with a disability or serious illness.

Common DSP and Carer Payment issues

Dealing with Centrelink can be a living nightmare, especially when your family is dependent on income support to pay the bills.

Common issues include:

  • For the DSP, understanding Centrelink’s complex ‘impairment rating’ assessment process and proving ‘disability’ with medical evidence
  • For Carer Payments, understanding the various types of payments that you may be eligible for, and proving your eligibility at the application stage
  • Becoming a Centrelink nominee, so that you can act on behalf of your family member with intellectual disability if they have no or diminished capacity
  • You disagree with a Centrelink decision, such as a Centrelink decision to reject your application for income support, or to issue a debt notice for an overpayment
  • You are not happy with Centrelink’s service or treatment of you or your family member.

How Special Voices can help you

As a disability lawyer and independent advocate, I can expertly help your family at every stage of any Centrelink battle.

Centrelink appeals and complaints

  • Provide you with plain English legal and strategic advice to empower you to advocate for yourself or your family member in a Centrelink appeal (internal or external review application) or in making a complaint about poor treatment by Centrelink

Applying for the DSP or a Carer Payment

  • Help you to understand your entitlements to income support 
  • Help you with your application for the DSP or a Carer Payment, including collecting the necessary medical and other evidence to support your application


  • Guide you through the Centrelink nominee (authorised representative) appointment process
  • Help you to complete Centrelink-related paperwork and correspondence
  • Answer in plain English any specific and curly questions that you may have about any aspect of Centrelink income support.

Why Choose Special Voices

Easy-to-understand, plain English legal advice

Fixed, reasonable fees disclosed up-front

100% independent - I have your back


No waitlists or
eligiblity hurdles

Empathy for families from lived experience

25 years' experience in disability law

Certified by the Victorian Legal Services Board

Free, no-obligation first consultation



Next steps

How do I get Special Voices to help me and my family?


Book a consultation

The first step is to book a free, no-obligation 60-minute consultation with me. We will talk about your problem and get to know each other.


Receive a proposal

I will send you a written proposal detailing how I can help you to solve your problem. This will include a fixed-fee quote for the proposed work (no hidden or surprise costs down the track).


Get your problem solved

We work together to solve your problem and achieve your desired outcome as quickly as possible.

Book a free initial consultation

Book a free, no-obligation 60-minute consultation to discuss your DSP or Carer Payment problems and how Special Voices can help.

Fill in the form below and I will get back to you within 48 hours.

Your details are confidential and won’t be shared with third parties.